Dawn Foods uncovered the Top 8 consumer trends impacting bakery businesses, and here we’re taking a closer look at each one. This time, we’re focusing on Enlightened Eating, the trend that turns baked goods into something that tastes great and is good for you, with healthier, better for you ingredients that put people’s minds at ease.
Food You Can Feel Good About
Are you focused on giving your customers baked goods that are cleaner and leaner, but still taste great?
If so, you’re not alone. Today’s consumers are becoming more concerned about what they eat, the more they know about the benefits of certain ingredients and the potential damage of others. They want food that fuels and that improves their overall quality of life. When you can feel good about what you’re putting into your body, it’s all about Enlightened Eating.
Trend Talk - A Closer Look at Enlightened Eating
Today, people are finished with eating ingredients that are hard to pronounce or full of the allergens and animals products they’re avoiding for better health. They want pure, simple ingredients that provide added nutrients like fruits and vegetables, protein, herbs, spices, and ancient grains. Today’s consumer has learned that good health and great taste can live hand in hand.
What This Means For Your Bakery - Lighten Up You Case
How does this connect to your bakery case? The challenge is to bring customers the best of both worlds – ingredients they feel good about and flavors that will keep them coming back.
- Feature fruits in your menu options to bring fresh flavors, natural colors, and authentic taste to your baked goods
- Consider organic, gluten free or better for you ingredients that take your everyday features and turn them into highly desirable menu options
- Focus on vegan baked goods or vegan/plant-based replacement ingredients that provide added protein and less additives
- Reduce sugar where you can by replacing it with more natural sweeteners like honey or agave, or switching to lower sugar mixes, glazes or fillings where possible
Research at the Ready - The Three Key Data Nuggets You Need to Know
Healthy foods are generally defined by consumers as natural, unprocessed or beneficial to disease management. Here are some other important facts to consider when refreshing your case to be enlightened
- Half of today’s consumers check the labor for sugar
- 70% of US and UK consumers want to know and understand ingredient lists
- Millennial's associate healthy food with low meat or even vegan/vegetarian diets, while Baby Boomers hold onto more traditional definitions like low calorie, low sugar or low fat
The bottom line for your bakery is that taking steps to make certain menu options healthier makes good business sense. Just be sure to pick flavors, ingredients, and products that don’t sacrifice taste. True Enlightened Eating brings together the best of both.
Ready to start your journey toward enlightening your bakery case? We’re giving you a recipe to help you on your way.
Try this Trend Now
Try this easy RECIPE for Chocolate Beet Bundt Cake to add Enlightened Eating to your bakery case.