Dawn Foods uncovered the Top 8 consumer trends impacting bakery businesses, and here we’re taking a closer look at each one. For our last trend, we’re looking at Just For Me, the trend that touts the importance of personalization and customized experiences.
Show Me You Know Me
Don't you love when a company shares products, they curated just for you?
Everyone appreciates the feeling of being known. And this is especially true when we’re talking about the brands we love. Nothing feels quite as special as getting an email with products picked with you in mind. And with technology taking over, personal connections are becoming even more important. No one wants to feel surrounded by the mass produced, impersonal world we’ve created.
While technology can feel cold and distant, it’s becoming sophisticated enough to build customized connections based on our decisions and behaviors. People now expect companies to know them and provide a level of personalization that would have once seemed impossible.
Trend Talk - To Know Me is To Sell To Me
The adage of one size fitting all is not true for today. From personalized interfaces on Amazon or Netflix to the ability to design our own shoes on nike.com, we expect to be catered to more than ever before.
Consumer centric automation and the use of smart technology are quickly becoming more about the lifestyle we want to live than about function. Things like all-in-one product codes, responsive beer labels, editable slogan apparel, wearables like Fitbit and Apple Watch, and recipe apps like Yummly have helped to create a world where we can track ourselves and share who we are with the brands we love.
What This Means For Your Bakery - Know the Customer
How do you show your customers you truly know who they are and what they want?
- Track customer purchases so you can update people with personalized communications on new products, sales, or features that align with their purchasing behaviors
- Think about having special events where customers can create their own desserts or explore with flavors they love, ending with their own creation that reflects who they are
- Allow for a certain level of customization on regular menu items. Does it make sense for customers to have options for selecting glazes or toppings for donuts? Encouraging them to finish their donuts in store is a smart way to provide personal attention and experiences
Research at the Ready - The Three Key Data Nuggets You Need to Know
When thinking about how to make experiences feel individualized for your customers, consider these important facts.
- 73%of consumers want some type of personalization
- This growth in personalization is driven by the wide adoption of technology with younger generations, like mobile apps and smart device drives
- Personalized food service encourages more involved buying behaviors and boosts engagement by targeting specific ages, genders or ethnicities
What does all this mean? It means that your bakery should look for ways to curate experiences that make a difference to your customers. Regular communications that speak to customer preferences, the ability to create products, and events that encourage self-expression are all smart ways to celebrate individualism.
Try this Trend Now
If you’re ready to get started, begin with this unique RECIPE to create personal puff pastries that allows your customers to add their own special flavor touches.