Digital Connections and ‘Momentary Escapes’ – Dawn's 2020 Global MEGAtrends
Jan 22, 2020, 09:26 AM
The influence of technology is having a big impact on consumers’ relationships with food and bakery, according to Dawn Foods’ eight ‘megatrends’, which the company believes will help to drive the bakery industry and wider food markets in 2020.
The trends were identified following compilation of industry data as well as more than 100 visits and interviews with bakers and suppliers worldwide.
Indulgence, Destination, Discovery and Ethics were found to be the key category drivers for the eight trends shaping consumers’ food buying and eating patterns.
1. Under Indulgence, Blissful Indulgence is the way in which, in a highly connected world, people look for opportunities to disconnect, reduce stress and anxiety from always being “on”. They want a momentary escape from reality with an indulgent sweet treat.
2. One size does not fit all though, and consumers expect custom experiences tailored to their individual needs to make them feel known, understood, appreciated and important so Just For Me is a major trend.
3. Time is precious too, so people are constantly exploring ways to save time and maximise the hours in each day. They look for easy, efficient experiences that won’t compromise food quality and help them live Twenty-Five 7.
4. The destination where we enjoy food – whether at home or away from home is now more important than ever before. Food is an expression of who we are and through My Food ID, it communicates our story.
5. There’s an experiential aspect to food that goes beyond mere sustenance too as consumers seek ways to make eating an overall experience and a form of entertainment. If it’s not worth sharing socially it’s not #Eatertainment.
6. When it comes to products and ingredients, Mash Up Adventure is important. Consumers require their bakery treats to deliver a low-risk way of being adventurous. Cross-cultural flavours with surprising combinations and twists give people unique sensory experiences.
7. Transparency 360 goes without saying as consumers increasingly seek out meaningful products aligned to bigger-picture values that impact the world, such as supporting local communities, sustainable practices and environmental impact.
8. Enlightened Eating - where health conscious consumers seek great tasting, pure and simple products that are free from artificial ingredients and loaded with nutrients is key to current product trends.
Dawn’s Eight Megatrends have been devised to assist bakers with developing new solutions to meet the needs of today’s fast-moving consumer. Technology has changed the way in which consumers interact with food as everything is much faster. Consumers seek even the briefest of moments to relax or indulge, which is good news for manufacturers of sweet bakery products. Our trends show that despite the need for ‘me time’ consumers are also concerned about healthier ingredients and the bigger picture regarding ingredient provenance for example.
News You Can Use
Sign up for fresh ideas, new recipes and business tips, delivered straight to your inbox.
Thank you. You have successfully subscribed to our newsletter