Are you focused on giving your customers baked goods that are cleaner and leaner, but still taste great?
If so, you’re not alone. Today’s consumers are becoming more concerned about what they eat, the benefits of certain ingredients and the potential damage of others. They want food that fuels and improves their overall quality of life. When you can feel good about what you’re putting into your body, it’s all about Enlightened Eating.
Today, people are finished with eating ingredients that are hard to pronounce or full of the allergens and animals products they’re avoiding for better health. They want pure, simple ingredients that provide added nutrients like fruits and vegetables, protein, herbs, spices, and ancient grains. Today’s consumer has learned that good health and great taste can live hand in hand.
How does this connect to your bakery? The challenge is to bring customers the best of both worlds – ingredients they feel good about and flavours that will keep them coming back.
• Feature fruits in your menu options to bring fresh flavours, natural colours, and authentic taste to your baked goods
• Consider organic, gluten free or better for you ingredients that take your everyday features and turn them into highly desirable menu options
• Focus on vegan baked goods or vegan/plant-based replacement ingredients that provide added protein and less additives
• Reduce sugar where you can by replacing it with more natural sweeteners like honey or agave, or switching to lower sugar mixes, glazes or fillings where possible
Healthy foods are generally defined by consumers as natural, unprocessed or beneficial to disease management. Here are some other important facts to consider when refreshing your products to be enlightened:
• Half of today’s consumers check the label for sugar
• 70% of US and UK consumers want to know and understand ingredient lists
• Millennials associate healthy food with low meat or even vegan/vegetarian diets, while Baby Boomers hold onto more traditional definitions like low calorie, low sugar or low fat
Ready to start your journey toward enlightening your bakery? Here's a recipe for a Vegan Avocado Cake to help you on your way.