Whether for fitness, medical reasons or overall health, many of us use food to fuel, nourish and heal our body. Empowered by unprecedented access to information, we incorporate a more nuanced view of food and nutrition into our daily diet. By proactively seeking inherent benefits from food, like protein that helps build muscle or probiotics that contribute to healthy digestion, we find our own personal balance between health and indulgence.
Enlightened Eating assures demand for powerful options with natural health benefits will continue to grow.
Influenced by younger generation, people of all ages are proactively addressing their health in a more holistic and personalized manner. Positive and natural health benefits are important to the consumers.
When identifying this trend in the bakery sector, we analysed over 100 sources including syndicated research reports, trade shows and publications, as well as primary research and vendor data. From there we identified these driving factors behind the trend:
- According to a US study:
- 64% of people agree that they want to hear about what to eat, rather than about what not to eat.
- 65% of Americans find products that are naturally high in nutrients to be “very appealing.”
- 66% of Americans 25 to 44 actively seek products that improve their health (e.g. gut health, brain health, energy, etc.).
- People actively look to integrate the inherent benefits of plants into their daily lives, driving plant milks, meat substitutes and vegan offerings into the mainstream.
- Yet there is room for indulgence as people are flexible with their eating habits. Examples include eating only paleo five days a week or gluten-free when possible.
Growth in vegetarianism, veganism and flexitarian eating mean there’s a real drive for bakers to use natural ingredients or offer ‘better for you’ options. If you would like to learn more about how Dawn products can help you meet your customer's dietary needs and attract more revenie with diverse offerings please contact us through our website or speak with your Dawn representative