Dawn Balance Vegan Donut Mix
5g Instant or 10g fresh yeast -
Hard Vegan Margarine
- Mix together Dawn Balance Vegan Donut Mix, yeast, and water together in a stand mixer (or spiral mixer) for 2 minutes on slow and 7 minutes on fast speed.
- Let the dough rest for 5 minutes while covered in the bowl.
- Prepare the fat for lamination. Begin with softening the margarine by banging with a rolling pin between 2 sheets of baking paper and then rolling it out to an 8-inch square. Then chill it until you are ready to laminate.
- Roll out dough to a 12-inch square and place the square of fat in the middle at a 90 degree angle, then fold the corners of the dough over the fat and pinch together to completely seal in the fat (this is known as the French method).
- If your fat has started to heat up or you are working in a warm environment, then rest in the fridge for 10 minutes. If your fat is still cold, or if you are in a cold environment, you can continue with your first fold by rolling out to 3 times the size and performing a half fold by folding one third down of the dough to the centre, then folding the remaining third up over the rest of the dough, retuning the dough into its original size.
- Rest in fridge for 10 minutes then repeat two more times for 3 half folds in total.
- Roll out the fully laminated dough until it is half an inch thick, cut out 9cm circles, with a smaller circle cut out the middle to form the doughnut shape (or use a ring donut cutter)
- Place onto a lined and greased baking tray and leave to prove, either a few hours at room temperature or in the fridge overnight, until doubled in size.
- When cronuts are fully proved, begin heating your oil to reach 180°C. While the oil is heating, place the cronuts in the fridge to make them easier to handle.
- Once your oil is hot enough place your cronuts in the oil and allow to fry for 3-5 minutes on each side. Remove from oil and cool on a wire rack so excess oil can drip off.